Thursday, May 27, 2010

Three Garden Books That Nif Refers to Over and Over (Plus Two More She Covets Dearly)

The All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholemew
(Cool Springs Press, $19.99)
THE guide for anyone who wants to grow vegetables in a small space. Essential.

100 Easy-to-Grow Native Plants by Lorraine Johnson
(Firefly Press $22.95)
My favorite feature is the suggested companions, which make for dazzling floral displays.

Wildflowers: a Guide to Growing and Propagating Native Flowers of North America by William Cullina
(Houghton Mifflin Harcourt $40)
This book is gorgeous...and indispensable for anyone who wants to plant a variety of native plants to support wildlife. I cuddle with it day and night as I make my spring plans. I dream of acquiring his other volumes to round out my garden planning:
Native Trees, Shrubs, & Vines and Native Ferns, Moss & Grasses
(also $40 each from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)

May 2010, Jennifer Woodfin

(Editor's Note: She's not kidding about the book cuddling.)

No comments: