Saturday, March 13, 2010

Poetic Profile: Phylinda Moore


Be sure to catch Phylinda Moore and Courtney Bambrick at the Big Blue Marble Bookstore for their poetry reading on Thursday, March 18, 2010, at 7:30pm! Check Big Blue Marble Events for more info!

1) How would you describe your poetry?

My Grandmother recently asked what my poems are about. I didn’t want to say, death, decay, or lust because how can you say that to your Grandmother? Though those subjects often figure in my poetry, they aren’t how I would describe the poems. Really I’m trying to translate what drives us forward, how we experience time and transition, how we live. For me, writing poetry is simply a way to explore the unknown I carry around. The language of poetry is my favorite method of exploration.

2) How does poetry fit into your everyday life?

Concretely there is the reading, writing and editing. Beyond that is the thought fragmentation and feeling that goes into writing. It takes up a lot of room in my head. So much gets lost in the constant daily experience, I use poetry to keep me connected to the deeper emotions that drive me.

3) What authors inspire you?

Any author who is passionate about his or her writing. I love to be immersed in a world an author forms, one where words are created out of love and necessity. You can tell when an author feels this deeply about the writing. Poets I’ve recently been inspired by: Maram Al-Massri, Stanley Kunitz, Lucille Clifton, and Moon Chung-Hee.

4) How does the Philadelphia community play a part in your poetry?

The Philadelphia community is supportive in both writers and readers. There is so much talent here. Writing can be so solitary that I feel fortunate to know many local writers who motivate me. The support and exchange here is necessary to my growth as a writer.

5) What was the last book you enjoyed? Tell our Big Blue Marble community a little about it.

Mark Doty’s Fire to Fire collection. It’s a compilation of new and selected works. The book is truly a powerful collection. Doty’s work has a conversational quality that makes me want to begin my own inquiry. Any poetry I read that sends me writing is enjoyable.

Phylinda Moore lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Journals where her work has recently been published include: Miller’s Pond Poetry Magazine, Mastodon Dentist, Fuselit, and Poor Mojo’s Almanac(k). Join her for upcoming readings at Fishtown Airways on April 20th and at the Big Blue Marble on March 18 at 7:30pm.

No comments: